Wednesday 22 June 2011

Coincidence

Matt gets onto bus, all the seats are taken apart from one next to Katy who has put her bag on the empty space.

MATT
Is this seat taken?

KATY
Oh sorry, it’s free, it’s yours if you want it.

MATT
Thanks.

KATY
You’re welcome... I always put my bag on the empty seat, I'm so petrified I’ll get trapped in by some obese, smelly, mentalist.

MATT
The seats are usually all gone by the time I get on, I'm always frightened the ones that are left are next to some weirdo who wants to make awkward small talk with strangers.

KATY
Is that my cue to shut up?

MATT
Oh shit, that sounded really rude didn't it? Oh God I’ve sworn now! I'm so sorry, I'm not really a morning chat kind of person... Although I guess that’s obvious.

KATY
You’re not doing a particularly good job of hiding it if I'm honest.

MATT
I’ll tell you what, I’m going to get my book out, have a read at that, and when it’s my stop we’ll have an awkward goodbye and if I see you on the bus again we’ll pretend this never happened.

KATY
I'm looking forward to it already.

They both get books from their bags and begin to read.

A few moments pass.

KATY
This is my stop, bye.

MATT
Bye.

Katy gets up and stands at the front of bus to get off, as she gets off Matt realises this is his stop too and
scrambles for his things.

On the street Katy walks away from the bus, Matt is a few steps behind and is unsure of his steps, knowing he looks as if he is following her. Katy is aware that someone is behind her and turns around to see who is there.

KATY
Should I be looking out my rape alarm?!

MATT
I know this does look a bit odd but I am genuinely walking this way.

KATY
Really?! Well if you keep your hands where I can see them, you can walk with me if you like.

MATT
Maybe you can help improve my morning conversation skills.

KATY
Hmmm, maybe... So where are you off to this morning then?

MATT
I'm starting a new job.

KATY
Oh, good luck, you looking forward to it?

MATT
Yeah. Well, I guess so. It’s just a bit daunting isn't it? All those new people, trying to make sure people like you and don’t think you’re a dick.

KATY
Seeing as I don’t even know your name yet but we’re talking like old friends, I'm guessing you won’t have any trouble fitting in.

Matt offers his hand.

MATT
How rude of me, I’m Matt.

Katy takes his hand and shakes it.

KATY
Katy, nice to meet you. This is my office building. The way this morning is going I don’t suppose this is where you’re going too?

MATT
Actually, yes, yes it is.

KATY
If I believed in a greater power I’d say fate was pushing us together.

They walk into the reception together.

KATY
I'm going into my office, have a lovely day.

MATT
I guess I’ll see you around.

No comments:

Post a Comment